The goal of the Ministry of Justice and Law, within the framework of its competencies, will be to formulate, adopt, direct, coordinate and execute public policy with regards to law, defense and legal security, access to formal and alternative justice, the fight against criminality, transitional judicial mechanisms, crime control and prevention, prison issues, promoting a law-abiding culture as well as agreeing on and respecting rights, which will be developed through the Administrative Sector's institutional framework.
The Ministry of Justice and Law will coordinate relations between the Executive and Judicial Branches, the Public Ministry, the controlling bodies and other public and private entities in order to develop and strengthen public policy with regards to justice and law.
In accordance with article 2 of Decree 2897 of 2011, as well as the functions set out in the Political Constitution and Article 59 of Law 489 of 1998 and other laws, the Ministry of Justice and Law will fulfill the following functions:
1. Promote the formulation, adoption, execution and assessment of public policy in the Administrative Sector for Justice and Law.
2. To coordinate relations between the Executive and Judicial Branches, the Public Ministry, the controlling bodies and other public and private entities in order to develop and strengthen public policy with regards to justice and law.
3. To formulate, adopt, promote and coordinate policies and strategies in: rationalization, law reform and defense; public legal management; the exercise of the legal profession; dissemination of legal information; transitional and restorative justice, as well as those policies which facilitate access to formal and alternative justice, all within the framework of existing legislation. This also goes for the fight against illicit drugs, money laundering, embezzlement, financial terrorism, managing seized assets and forfeiture.
4. To design and coordinate the exercise of judicial functions by administrative authorities and private individuals, in conformity with the law, to guide the presentation of results and strive to improve them.
5. To perform exceptionally in the terms set out in paragraph three of the article116 of the Political Constitution and the precise materials determined by law, and the judicial functions of the Ministry of Justice and Law.
6. To design, monitor and evaluate policy for crime, prisons and penitentiaries for crime prevention and actions against organized crime.
7. To promote laws and regulations, legal protection, guarantee and the reestablishment of children's and adolescent's rights, in coordination with the Instituto Colombiano de Bienestar Familiar (Colombian Institute for Family Wellbeing) - ICBF - under the principles of interest, comprehensive protection and differential approach, as well as other competent entities.
8. To design policy and promote the applicable instruments within the criminal responsibility system for adolescents, to monitor and assess their application by catering to their specialized nature, their restorative purpose and relevant international agreements.
9. To participate in designing policies related to protecting public faith in the notaries and records.
10. To manage alliances with national and international cooperation agencies to strengthen the Administrative Sector for Justice and Law.
11. To administer Funds for Prison Infrastructure and the Fight Against Drugs.
12. To support the Public Judicial Branch in its functions when confronting the other collaborative institutions of the Executive Branch.
13. Other functions assigned by the Constitution and the Law.